Most people sleep at least 8 hours per day. When you spend that much time on your mattress, you want to be sure it's good for your health and the environment.
- Mattresses made from sustainable materials create less waste for the landfills of the world.
- Always try out your new mattress before you purchase to make sure you get the right one for you.
CLOSER TO NATURE SLEEPING SURFACES
A quality mattress makes a big difference in your sleep, and the quality of your rest contributes to overall better health. However, many consumers aren't aware of how comfortable beds impact the health of the environment. Every year, Americans discard around 40 million mattresses into landfills. They require specialized equipment to break them down. Most mattresses are made mostly from plastic and petroleum-based products, and they're often treated with chemicals that leak into the soil and groundwater.
MATTRESSES MADE FROM SUSTAINABLE MATERIALS
The good news is that you do have many excellent environmentally-friendly options when it's time for a new mattress. You can start by looking for comfortable beds made from sustainable materials. These mattresses are healthier for your body, but they also help save natural materials like trees. Here are some things to look for to help you identify sustainability.
- Look for materials that are ethically sourced, renewable, plentiful, and fast-growing.
- Rubber trees grown with sustainable practices aren't sprayed with chemical pesticides during the growing process.
- Seek out materials with high durability for a long useful life.
- Recyclable materials don't take up space in landfills.
- Sustainable materials are used in responsible manufacturing processes.
- Sustainability can also apply to a company's social responsibility. For example, the Purple mattress company donates returned units to charity.
At Cardi's Furniture & Mattresses, we carry many comfortable beds made with sustainable materials and processes. Here are just a few of the possibilities from which you can choose.
- The Repreve in the Natura line features a cover made from recycled plastic bottles.
- The Seaqual from Beautyrest Harmony uses plastic recovered from the oceans.
- Product lines from Natura, Biltmore, and Nature's Rest use latex, which is a sustainable material derived from the sap of rubber trees. The tree doesn't suffer damage in the process of gathering the sap. Latex is naturally occurring, renewable, and biodegradable. As a bonus, it's also resistant to microbes and dust mites.
MATTRESSES MADE FROM ORGANIC MATERIALS
Whereas sustainability refers to both materials and manufacturing processes, organic applies to the components used to make the mattress. Organic materials, such as latex, cotton, and wool, are different from natural materials. The term organic means the component is certified according to the requirements of a qualified organization such as the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS), the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS), or the United States Department of Agriculture.
TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT
Most people spend about a third of every day in bed. When you're buying something so important to your health, don't trust an online, sight-unseen buying process. Come into Cardi's Furniture & Mattresses, where you can try out all the comfortable beds and see how close to nature a sustainably constructed mattress can make you feel. You can visit us at any of our New England locations to let our experienced and knowledgeable team help you choose the right mattress for you. We offer a wide selection at a variety of price points with same-day iDelivery available.